Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My GAME plan

I am grateful that I have the opportunity to teach at a technology magnet school. Last year was the first year that our 8th grade students had the benefit of participating in a one to one initiative. Our current 8th grade is also part of this initiative. Each student has access to their own laptop for use at school and at home. While this is a great opportunity for students, it requires teachers to make sure that students are safe when using their computers at home or at school. We have had a few instances where students have been the victims of online bullying or have made bad choices as to what they posted on the Internet or viewed on the Internet. Since there are filters at school, this has become a problem that occurs while students are outside the school walls. This course has helped me to set goals for protecting my students by teaching them some basic Internet safety strategies. In the past our school has offered a workshop for parents to learn about the dangers of the Internet. I think this is important, especially when it comes to middle school students. As the new year approaches, my goal is to continue with my GAME plan.

3 comments:

  1. Jodi,
    A laptop for every student could definitely open up a lot of doors for integrating technology. To me this sounds like giving kids the keys to a car and the teachers at your school are kind of like the driving instructors who are helping students to make good choices when they get on the road. With this program in place I am wondering if your school already has learning goals in place that relate to the NETS-S that we've been looking at this week?

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi,

    A laptop for every student at our school is only a fantasy. I look forward to the day this could be true. As Jason states, this "could definitely open up a lot of doors for integrating technology" and in consequence, differentiate instruction.

    I look forward to seeing your work on Internet Safety. Will you consider having it published?

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi, you're so lucky to be teaching at a school where each student has a laptop. I don't know that many schools in my area that have the 1 to 1 laptop initiative. Since each student gets a laptop, how does your school communicate the right and responsibilities of having a laptop to the students and parents? I can imagine that in the classroom, the teachers can utilize many tools to allow students to explore their learning. This initiative provides you with many opportunities to integrate technogoy into your classroom. I'm curious what a typical day in your classroom looks like.

    What has your school administrators done about the online bullying? Has your school offered any workshops for parents and students about cyber bullying?

    Best of luck to you as your continue with your GAME plan.

    ReplyDelete