Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Following through with my GAME plan ...

I have been searching the Internet to locate some online resources to effectively teach Internet safety to my middle school students. I found this website http://www.mcps.org/admin/Technology/TRTWebpage/middle_school.htm It has several short videos on Internet safety all told from the perspective of teenagers. The first video I viewed was of a young girl telling her story of how she met a man in an online chat room and ran away with him. He was later put in jail. Another video described a situation where some mean girls convinced a classmate to tell them her best friend’s email password. These mean girls then sent embarrassing emails to other classmates from her email account. Several more videos caught my attention. They are engaging and I believe middle school students would relate well to them. I need to check with my principal to make sure that she approves the videos and lesson plans. Hopefully I will be able to share these with my students next quarter.

I do not feel the need to modify my action plan at this point. I was pleasantly surprised by the wealth of resources available online to teach middle school students about Internet safety. Also, I do not have any questions. I am just waiting for approval from our administration to continue with my GAME plan.

1 comment:

  1. Jodi,

    The material you have recommended is great! I always include a lesson plan on internet safety.

    This is one of the videos I just love:
    http://www.mcps.org/admin/Technology/TRTWebpage/Internet_Safety_Curriculums/Middle_School%206-8/Lessons_and_Activities/Grades7-8ActivityCards/Amy'sChoice/amy-high.wmv

    The video fits just right in with the grammar structures for English II. My students will have no difficulty understanding. It is a great resource for using authentic material and an excellent example of how students can use technology for their own presentations.

    Thank you for sharing.

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete