Thursday, January 29, 2009

21st Century Skills- http://www.21stcenturyskills.org/

I enjoyed reading the information provided on this website. I agree with the information shared on the importance of the learning environment in relationship to students' education.  I believe that it is the role of each school to create an inviting, engaging, and relevant learning environment that will help prepare students for life in the 21st century.  Improving our learning environment has been a focus for our middle school this year.  Teachers have been encouraged to display exemplar student work as well as provide opportunities to use technology to enrich their classrooms. 

One thing that surprised me in the article was the belief that finding time and money was not the greatest challenges in creating a successful technology rich learning environment.  I truly believe that these are two key challenges that most educators face on a daily basis.  Finding the funding necessary to incorporate and maintain technology is not easy.  Providing teachers time to learn new skills and create new technology rich units is definitely another obstacle in our school. However, I do agree that finding ways to adequately support these skills is a major obstacle.

This website proves to me that my school is on the right path to providing students with a quality education in the 21st century.  However, we still have a lot of work to do.  

5 comments:

  1. Jodi, it sounds like the middle school you teach in is certainly taking the initiative to promote successful technology integration. Is there any incentive for the teachers and students to work with technology? I would love to believe that the excitement of technology and how it saves time is incentive enough, but unfortunatley that is not always the case. Our district was actually thinking about adding a requirement for all teachers to be observed utilizng technology within a lesson at least once per year. I actually believe we should start out with once every marking period, but not everyone agrees with my idea. What are your thoughts on this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At our school, most teachers embrace the idea of using technology. I agree with you that teachers should be observed utilizing technology every quarter, not just once a year. I have found in my building that having a technology facilitator model in an actual classroom makes teachers feel more comfortable when attempting to use the technology in the classroom. For example, about 8 years ago, our technology facilitator came into my classroom and modeled how to use a computer decision making simulation. She modeled it for one of my classes, and then we taught it together for one, and then I taught my last two classes with her there for support. I later wrote a grant to purchase more simulations and have used them successfully on my own ever since. Sometimes it just takes a little push in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you attach a link to the article on the site you are referring to? I would be interested in learning what they do feel are the biggest obstacles. I think many of us comment on the fact that we are limited in equipment and funds. Do they suggest ways to get around this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is the link for the article that I focused on.

    http://www.21stcenturyskills.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=598&Itemid=64

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jodi,

    I was also surprised that time and money were not the biggest challenges faced in creating a successful technology rich learning environment. So often that is the excuse we teachers are given when we need or want something for our classroom. I had to laugh the other week, our school had an inservice and it dealt with technology. And I was sitting there thinking to myself, how are we to use this when we have whiteboards and overhead projectors as our technology. But then on the other hand your mind starts wandering about everything you could do if you just had this or you just had that. It all takes money!

    ReplyDelete